Envisioning Middlebury is a framework, and not a plan. The distinction is key. The framework is an active strategy that requires continual participation by the community that crafted it. It is not a checklist of things to do, but rather a strategy that will guide Middlebury’s work now and into the future.
Through a commitment to immersive learning, we prepare students to lead engaged, consequential, and creative lives, contribute to their communities, and address the world’s most challenging problems.
A world with a robust and inclusive public sphere where ethical citizens work across intellectual, geographical, and cultural borders.
- Global network of educational programs and opportunities
- Intercultural competency
- Persuasive communication and influential expression
- Emergent teaching, learning, and research horizons
- Place-based experiential learning
- Digital fluency and critical engagement
- Educational collaboration and partnership
- Full participation in our diverse community
- Curricular flexibility and organizational nimbleness
- Lifelong engagement with Middlebury
- Making intentional choices in pursuit of our vision
- Ensuring responsible stewardship of all our resources
- Committing time and space to facilitate our collective goals
- Promoting effective relationships and a supportive community